Qamdo Bangda Airport
Qamdo Bangda Airport - Facts, Flights, Transfer and Tips
Qamdo Bangda Airport
Airport Brief Facts
Qamdo Bangda Airport (IATA: BPX, ICAO: ZUBD) is the second highest airport in the world with elevation of 4,334m (14,219 ft). Situated in east Tibet area, the Qamdo Bangda Airport is known for the farthest distance to downtown with the world’s worst climate and the longest runway. Currently, the Qamdo Airport has flights to Lhasa, Chengdu, Chongqing, Tianjin and Anhui Fuyang (安徽阜阳). It offers a convenient way to visit famous spots, like Ranwu Lake and Karuo Relics in Qamdo.
IATA Code: BPX
ICAO Code: ZUBD
Chinese Name: 昌都邦达机场
Address: Bangda Prairie, Qamdo Prefecture, Tibet, about 136km to the nearest Qamdo Town, over 1,300km to Lhasa and Chengdu
Major Connected City: Chengdu, Chongqing, Lhasa, Tianjin and Anhui Fuyang (安徽阜阳）
About Qamdo Bangdar International Airport
Qamdo Bangda Airport, also called Qamdo Bamda Airport, is a plateau airport located in Bangda Prairie, Hengduan Mountains. The airport is 4,334m (14,219 ft) above sea level, which makes it the second highest airport in the world after the 4,411m high Daocheng Yading Airport in Sichuan Province. Climate environment of the Qamdo Bangda Airport is quite hostile. Wind speeds up to 30m per second in winter. Besides, the temperature often drops down to 20 degrees centigrade below zero in winter and spring, which is difficult for flight operation. Due to its high elevation, the airport oxygen level is only 50% of that of sea level.
The Qamdo Bangda Airport started its construction on December 2, 1992. The Air Force only spent 83 days on fixing the 5,500m long and 45 m wide airport runway – the longest one in the world. In 2007, the airport did a reconstruction and expansion with repairing the runway, building a new terminal of 5,018 square meters. During June 22 to July 15, 2013, the airport was shut down for a further maintenance of the old runway. A second runway is under construction from 2015.
Tibet Travel Permit and Flight Travel
A Tibet Travel Permit (Tibet Entry Permit) is the MUST-DOCUMENT to take a flight to Tibet. It is firstly needed to book flight at the airport. When you check in and check out the airports, the original Tibet Travel Permit also will be checked. Please remember to duplicate at least 3 copies of Tibet Travel Permit because the permits are required for many occasions. The permit can only be issued in Tibet by the Tibet Tourism Bureau, and also can be only applied by travel agency behalf of travelers. It needs about 15~20 days to obtain the permit.
How to Apply for Tibet Travel Permit
1. Contact us to work out and confirm an itinerary in Tibet;
2. Send us the scanned copies of your passport, and provide an available address in China(hotel or local agency) to receive your permit;
3. We apply for the Tibet Travel Permit from Tibet Tourism Bureau in Lhasa;
4. Once the permit is issued, we will send the original permit to you by post.
> Learn more detail about Tibet Travel Permit Application
Useful Notes on Tibet Flight Travel
1. How to book flight ticket?
The flight ticket can be booked at online websites, such as Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip, Qunar, etc. You can also buy the ticket from the airports in China or flight resellers. You are also welcomed to let us book your flight. We are always keeping up with the latest flight news and usually can book the ticket at a cheaper price. During summer and autumn, it is usuall difficult to book the flights to Lhasa. While using our booking service, we will not only book the ticket, but also arrange a valuable tour package.
2. Apart from Chengdu, where can I flee?
Apart from Chengdu, you can fly to Beijing, Xian, Chongqing, Kunming, Shanghai, Shangri-la etc.
3. International flights from Tibet
So far, there is only one international air line connecting Lhasa: Lhasa - Kathmandu. During summer days, there are daily direct flights operated, sometimes two flights and sometimes just one flight. Only Air China and Sichuan Airlines are operating the Lhasa - Kathmandu flights. To take a flight from Lhasa to Kathmandu.
4. What else airport, apart Qamdo Bangdar International Airport?
Tibet has five airports in total. Besides Qamdo Bangdar Airport, you can also take a flight to Shigatse, Nyingchi, Ngari and Qamdo. But only certain cities in China operate flights to these smaller cities.
- Shigatse - there is daily flight flying between Chengdu and Shigatse each day. The airport name is Qamdo Bangda Airport, which is about 46km from Shigatse city.
- Nyingchi - Chengdu usually offers 4 morning flights to Nyingchi Milin Airport. While its neighboring city Chongqing also has 3 morning flights to Nyingchi each day. If you travel from Nyingchi to Lhasa, you are recommended to take a flight to Nyingchi firstly from Chengdu or Chongqing. It is also available to fly out Tibet directly from Nyingchi.
- Qamdo - Both Chongqing and Chengdu operate a daily flight to Qamdo in Tibet. But there are few travelers have chosen this line because Qamdo is not a popular tourist destination in Tibet.
- Ngari - Urumqi (capital of Xinjiang) offers a daily direct flight to Ngari with a stop at Kashgar on every Tuesday and Friday. Taking this flight, passengers need Military Permit and Border Pass as well as Tibet Travel Permit.
5. The regulation on the luggage allowance on the plane
|Luggage Type||First Class||Business Class||Economy Class||Allowed Baggage Size|
|Allowed Carry-on Baggage||5kg * 2 pieces||5kg||5kg||55cm/20cm/40cm(L/B/H)|
|Allowed Checked-in Baggage||40kg||30kg||20kg||100cm/60cm/40cm(L/B/H)|
6. Will my kids get a discounted flight ticket?
Kids aging 2 to 12 years old (including 12) will get a discount of 50% of the full price of the flight fare. If an adult take a flight to Lhasa from Chengdu with a child aging at 10 and the full price for the economy class is 1850 CNY, the ticket fare for the child is 940 CNY. The child also doesn’t have to pay for Airport Construction Fee while the adult has to. Infant under 2 years old only has to pay 10% of the full price, but the separate seat is not provided.
7. How do I collect (receive) the flight ticket?
Since most flight tickets are booked online, so firstly you will receive an e-ticket. You will change a paper ticket when you checking in your flight at a counter in the airport.
- Tibet Travel Guide
- Tibet Travel Advice
- Flights to Tibet
- Altitude sickness prevention
- Tibet Weather Guide
- Traffic in and out of Tibet
- Tibetan diet guide
- Tibetan Religious Culture
- Tibet accommodation guide
- Travel Travelogues
- Tibet Specialty
- Tibet Travel Tips
- Tibet's latest travel info
- History of Tibet
- Tibetan Culture
- Tibet Train Guide
- Tibetan Festival
- China Tibet tour
- Beijing to Tibet Tours
- Chengdu Tibet Tour
- Shanghai Tibet Tours
- Xi'an Tibet Tours
- Yunnan Tibet Tours
- Xining Tibet Tours
- Guangzhou Tibet Tours
- Chongqing Tibet Tours
- Hong Kong Tibet Tours